Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Bighorn Mountaintop Lodge






This is the deck off the side of the lodge... you could lean over and see the very bottom of the gorge...
way, way down there.


Can you see the snow speckling the side of the canyon? I did a LOT of research on the snow fall history in that area going back about 7 years. There hadn't been a snow fall during that particular time of year for a long time. Even though I got assurances from the lodge that they are truly in this thing called a banana boat area of Colorado and there should be any snow, we were all wrong. That evening was a snowstorm like you woudn't believe. Sure, it made for quite the dramatic wedding, however, driving in it made for quite the dramatic life and death situation. I am surprised that we didn't have any overnight guests on our honeymoon night. The great thing about the lodge is that they have three bedrooms and two full baths. The rooms were quaint and sweet. What made it so great was the HUGE fireplace in the main room. It put out a load of heat and looked fabulous. The place is totally affordable and if I ever think of having a reunion or event, I am going back.

A bit of backstory to this place, I had originally wanted my wedding in Santa Fe and then recognizing the insanity of trying to have a protestant wedding in a Catholic-centri local I realized that closer to home would the only option. Finally, I had narrowed it down to wanting it at some bed and breakfast but trying to find an open one around New Year's was near impossible and people weren't interested in hosting a group for an event like a wedding. Weeks and weeks of searching and then one day I just prayed about the situation and broadened my search just a little bit wider and there it was, two from the top of my google search. I nearly fell off my chair. It was exactly what I needed and wanted. Just far enough away to be an experience and close enough to not be impossible to come to. Staff were great and quick to respond. Some bridal stories have horrific stories but mine went off pretty much without a hitch...however, because I am not one to skirt over funny and/or awkward stuff.
Here's my top few, crazy moments...
  1. I am not a naturally organized nor do I thrill about lists and checking off boxes like my middle sister, so my good friend Valerie had to hand hold me through the day before the wedding because I still had stuff to do....I was such a wack-a-doodle.
  2. I forgot to sit down with my little sister Cadena and really talk through what I wanted in my photos and what kind of poses and when. I must have skipped that etiquette part in wedding planning. Poor thing, she was an extremely patient person because I totally was again, a total wack-a-doodle. However, she rocked the photos and we got a ton of great pictures from her and her assistant, Tara. All the wedding pictures on this site are the ones that she took. Check her site out. Currently, she is in ministry work at a military base working with b.r.a.t.s. You can check out the latest with her at her blog www.trustyphotography.blogspot.com.
  3. The mail toilet broken in the lodge. It wasn't a big deal and people didn't really notice since there was another one. However, it did net a free night there. WHOOHOO and I am ALL about a deal.
  4. I didn't know what music I wanted to come out to so earlier that afternoon I was playing all my vinyl records looking for something that would work. Too bad I didn't remember that for years, I wanted to do something special to a special John Denver song that I love, For You. oh, well.
  5. The staff put together the salad plates outside along the deck and, luckily, Gabe and I were the first to walk out and around to get our dinner and to see that they had not realized what would happen and decided to recycle the refuse for the animals...or that's what I would like to think because there was salad all over the ground. I had to do a quick sweep and chuck to get the stuff out of view... just like how I cleaned my room when I was younger. haha!
  6. After everyone braved the surprise snowstorm that started during the ceremony to leave, poor Gabe had to put my freaked out emotional self back together while I was bemoaning the idea that probably someone would die that night trying to get home. What a great way to spend our first night together...I doubt Gabe knew that would be a ton more weepy nights with me to get through.

Next up.....what we did different.



No comments:

Post a Comment